LIVESTRONG:

And in June 2013 we are back in the revolving door of doctors, this time for my heart. So the focus has shifted, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


LIVESTRONG: I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. WE WILL WIN!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Vocabulary of the week

The thing about cancer is that unless you or a loved one close to you has experienced it, or you are in the medical field, there is this whole new world of vocabulary that comes to you. Some of it is scary, some of it is almost funny, and some just plain interesting. 

So, I'm doing my best to get through my latest assignment of reading, Chemotherapy and You ~ Support for People With Cancer, which is a 60 page booklet to inform me on everything I need to know about chemo.  And then I will later go through a Chemo Teaching session with the NP to learn even more!
Thrombocytopenia: low platelet count

Neo-adjuvant chemotherapy: chemo used to make a tumor smaller before surgery or radiation

Port: a small, round disc made of plastic or metal that is placed under the skin. A catheter connects the port to a large vein, most often in the chest. The port is used to insert a needle into it to to give chemo or draw blood.

Infusion Room: The "salon" like looking room where chemo is "infused" into your body.

Chemo is designed to kill fast growing cancer cells. So it can also affect healthy fast growing cells; which include mouth, intestines, bone marrow, hair growth cells. Side affects: fatigue, nausea, vomiting, decreased blood cell count, hair loss, mouth sores, pain. There is also a risk of danger to heart, lungs, nerves, kidneys, reproductive organs.

Feelings during chemo: anxiety, depression, anger, helplessness, lonely, afraid.    HELLO!!!

Hugs, Debbie... aka the cancer warrior


LIVESTRONG:
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Cancer,

    I am mad as hell at you.

    Stop it you shitty bad mean cancer!!! I want you to go away NOW. How dare you invade my sister???

    You think you are so smart...Well you picked the wrong person to visit!!! I have news for you, you are going to be dead FOREVER...and it won't be a pretty death, either. Debbie is strong. She is an amazing woman with more strength and courage than you. She will win! We are all ready to help HER through the battle and you WILL BE GONE.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie