LIVESTRONG:

And in June 2013 we are back in the revolving door of doctors, this time for my heart. So the focus has shifted, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


LIVESTRONG: I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. WE WILL WIN!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

Friday, February 11, 2011

First Night/Day After Chemo

Well the first night after chemo was not a "great one", but it was not miserable. I guess on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst, it was around a 6. I did not sleep well, waking at 2:45am and up in the recliner till 6am or so. I had an overall headache, just a big stuffy head. Feeling very woozy and quesy stomache. Just ache all over.  Then I slept good till about 8:30am when we needed to get a move on for my Neulasta shot.

Neulasta is a prescription medication called a white cell booster that helps your body produce more white blood cells to reduce your risk of infection. A sufficient white blood cell count will help my doctor to determine I am ready for my next scheduled chemotherapy treatment. Most doctors agree that sticking to the planned chemotherapy schedule may be the first step to success. Studies have proven the effectiveness of a Neulasta injection given 24 hours after chemo helps to protect chemotherapy patients against the complications of a low white blood cell count.

A side effect of Neulasta can be an overall achy feeling as it is pulling from the bone marrow to help support the white blood cell count. This usually occurs in the large bone areas such as legs, hips, shoulders. So far (knock on wood), this is good. And while today was still a groggy, quesy day, I think I've figured out my meds, Tylenol, and drinking tons of fluids, I'm learning how to manage it all. After a few good naps this afternoon and evening, my head is feeling much better.

So the next few days should be the worst. Apparently the doldrums of chemo can last a week. So I'll be back to my old self just in time for the next treatment! Whopeeeeeee!!!

I can't thank you all enough for all your love, support, prayers, etc. It is so very heartwarming to us both. While I don't respond to every email or call, I do hear you all and it is very heartwarming and boosts me up. HUGE HUGS.....

Hugs, Debbie... aka the cancer warrior; soon to be survivor 


LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

1 comment:

  1. You hang in there girlfriend. In no time you will find the right mix of drinking lots of fluids, meds, napping, knitting, eating what makes your tummy feel better and reading well wishes from family and friends that will help to keep the ickies at bay.

    I will continue to pray that you feeling sick will be minimal and manageable.

    Hugs ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie