LIVESTRONG:

What started as IDC (Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) in 2011, then turned into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) in 2013, probably partially caused by chemotherapy along with a genetic pre-disposition. Here we are now in March 2016 and I am newly diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in the left breast and liver (LMBC - liver metastasized breast cancer).


So the focus has shifted yet again, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide helpful information and strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. I WILL SURVIVE!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well. And if you are now cancer free of breast cancer, do everything you can to insist that your doctors follow up with an occasional PET Scan and labs for tumor markers.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

*****************************************************************************************

Friday, February 4, 2011

Glad This Week Is Over

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
~ John Wayne, Actor
I'm feeling much more positive and energized today, and that makes both Mark and I very happy. Today started out much better than yesterday, even though most of it was to be spent at Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital to get my Bard Power Port. Whoopie!!! (To see my previous entry with more details on the Port, scroll down or look at this previous post.)


It was a long day, leaving the house at 10am and returning after 4pm, but I am just so relieved the week is behind me!!! All the nurses were fantastic, cheery, upbeat, polite (my goodness the cardiac "waiting room" is a bustling place at 10am on a Friday morning at Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital); AND my tuna sandwich as I was in recovery was darn good. Not to mention my sweetie Mark was there with me and sis Nance stopped by with us while we were waiting and prepping for the procedure. Things went pretty well.



Other than the drama of my veins hiding out from the RN and after 2 sticks she needing to call for an ultrasound assist for my IV (I didn't know they could do that), I now am the proud owner/recipient of the Bard Power Port. Is that like a Power Ranger or something? I mean they can infuse me, transfuse me, draw blood, and so many other things with this new gadget implanted under my skin on my right chest. I wonder if I can hook my new juicer up to it? :-) Oh silly me. I will want to taste the yummy drinks I'm going to create.

By the way, my veins are known for hiding out when a nurse approaches with a needle. It has been that way most of my life. That, compounded with my fasting for tests the day before and over night for the Port, it was a logistical reason that the nurse had difficulty with my IV.

We are now home, the port is in place, and I'm resting while Mark does chores.  There is some minor discomfort, but nothing that an Ibuprofen can't ease. 

After a week of one test after another, I was exhausted mentally, and worried to no end. Now I am just happy the week is over and not to be traveling to any hospital or doctor office for the next couple of days. 
Hugs, Debbie... aka the cancer warrior, soon to be survivor!

PowerPort PowerLoc
The PowerPort* device is a new kind of implantable port for  IV therapy treatments. It offers the unique ability to provide access for power-injected Contrast-Enhanced Computer Tomography (CECT) scans. Power-injected CECT scans produce superior images of the body to help the medical team better manage care. With a PowerPort* Implantable Port, I'll be able to receive IV therapy and CECT scans without having to undergo repeated needle-sticks in my arm or wrist veins. 




LIVESTRONG:
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie