LIVESTRONG:

What started as IDC (Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) in 2011, then turned into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) in 2013, probably partially caused by chemotherapy along with a genetic pre-disposition. Here we are now in March 2016 and I am newly diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in the left breast and liver (LMBC - liver metastasized breast cancer).


So the focus has shifted yet again, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide helpful information and strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. I WILL SURVIVE!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well. And if you are now cancer free of breast cancer, do everything you can to insist that your doctors follow up with an occasional PET Scan and labs for tumor markers.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

*****************************************************************************************

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Morning Elixir

My husband and daughters will recall back to a time when I was Miss Granola. I mean, it was the 70's, I was young (barely 20), and a new mom. I was also brought up by a mother who was concerned about what we ate, vitamins, you name it. Not many kids my age, in the days of the Betty Crocker Cookbook, had homemade wheat bread fresh from the oven, spread with local honey. Or a breakfast of a bowl of yogurt with raw wheat germ and honey as condiments. I still crave the taste of good old fresh yogurt. You know, the sour kind. Not the yogurt with all this syrupy fruit and sugar.

Of course, the child of an Azorean Portuguese mother, and an Italian father, (grandparents on both sides immigrated across the pond), we had our share of salami, mayo and Teleme sandwiches, and lots of fish, and foraged mushroom. And other scrumptious things, like polenta, WAY before it was "in", and the abalone my father and uncles (brothers, too!) would rock pick.

Going Green ~ Juicing!

I digress..... What I'm leading up to is I've always been concerned with health and eating right. Although my weight has been a challenge for me over a good part of my adult life, we have never been into fast food and sodas in our house. I spent most of my first years of marriage studying up on Adelle Davis and cooks of her time. My girls didn't have chocolate or sugar in their diets for years, and we even went without TV for 2-4 years. Ask the family about the Lentil loaf I made once that everyone turned their noses up to. :-)

So when this cancer thing hit me like a ton of bricks, I had relaxed the diet somewhat and been in a slump. We were still eating quality local foods, but not always as careful as could be. So I've been kind of "prompted" to look at things more closely; especially diet.

ENTER JUICING...
I think we owned a juicer years ago. Probably a run of the mill, low- end variety. But now.... We are the proud owners of a Breville Ikon Juice Fountain. And I've been juicing almost daily for our morning beverage since Ikon (AND cancer) has entered our lives.

Typically a morning starts out with organic veggies, such as cucumber, broccoli stems, lots of kale, and something on the sweet side like carrots, or a green apple. Each day is different, and an experiment. But I'm having fun with it and feeling better. And Mark seems to be enjoying his daily elixir as well.

So let's hope we can keep this up. Something tells me that we have "the incentive", as much as I'd like not to admit it.

Assante! Here's to Good Health!!


Hugs, Debbie... aka the cancer warrior; soon to be survivor 


LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie