LIVESTRONG:

And in June 2013 we are back in the revolving door of doctors, this time for my heart. So the focus has shifted, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


LIVESTRONG: I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. WE WILL WIN!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Screw Cancer, Screw the Chemo...

Did I say... We are going to be Grandparents!!!!!

Just had to say it one more time so it will sink in. We got to see Alura today for the appointment with my Oncologist, Dr. Anderson. How wonderful to hug her. She is so cute hearing her talk about "it". They have some huge changes ahead for them, and they will be wonderful parents.

Dr. Anderson went over a few more questions I had. It was good to learn I can have an occasional glass of wine; although I've almost cut it out of my diet over the last month. He did discuss other options if the drugs I have do not curb the nausea.

I had my Port accessed today for the first time, so it is no longer a virgin.  :-) The nurse drew blood to get a base line for chemotherapy treatment tomorrow. I sat in one of the infusion chairs and it felt weird at first. Why is there such a stigma about this whole thing? I mean, thousands of people, if not more, go through this daily. And the dose I get will lower my blood counts, but it will not strip my immune system entirely.

The nurse was all excited about the Port. This was probably to put me at ease, but she seemed to really enjoy it. I skipped the lydocane to numb the area, and it was no problem. Why get stuck twice, for goodness sakes. And Alura noticed how the lady next to me, who did not have a Port, had to keep her arm still in her chair. This way I can knit!!! :-)

When Mark, Alura and I returned home, Sarah was here with lunch ready for us. How wonderful to have both my sweet girls here with me. The plan is to schedule future chemo treatments on Sarah's days off work so she can come with me some of the time. And there are some friends and family who have offered to join me on my excursions too. So we will see how it all works out.

And people have been wonderful with food. Between lunches and dinners, we feel spoiled. It is kind of weird to be on the receiving end of all this love and generosity. Especially since I really feel pretty good right now. But the hectic schedule of appointments has certainly taken its toll on our normal routine. So we do are very grateful for all the love and outpouring of help. THANK YOU!!!

I think I am ready. I've updated my calendar with the reminders for the Neulasta shot the day after the chemo, and the 4 new meds I will take to help combat the nausea. Time will tell how I react, what side affects really hit me. They say everyone is different and it is really hard to say. Between the meds I have at home, and the one hour infusion of anti-nausea drugs they will use for my first hour of treatment tomorrow, I'm hopeful that I won't get too sick

But I'm sure that come tomorrow just before my infusion appointment I'll be a bit nervous.


Hugs, Debbie... aka the cancer warrior; soon to be survivor 


LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Debbie, I heard about your diagnosis from Kristine. I wish you every strength on your healing journey. ~Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, I wish I lived closer to help you and your family! Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Hugs and support from afar are coming your way. ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Go Girl!! Standing Firm with you in the fight. Love you!!! Gwenn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie