LIVESTRONG:

And in June 2013 we are back in the revolving door of doctors, this time for my heart. So the focus has shifted, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


LIVESTRONG: I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. WE WILL WIN!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Many Miracles Being Offered Up


Your Health Tip for the Day!

When I hear things like "inducing cancer cells to commit cellular suicide" my ears perk up!

It's not quite daily, but it is often that I receive a "tip" from a friend or acquaintance of the next miracle cancer preventing food or product of some sort. Some of these are believable, some...... well we each need to make our own decisions, don't we? While I have already changed my lifestyle considerably; no caffeine, little wine, juicing, small portions more often, loads of greens, prunes daily, plenty of water and herbal tea; many of these changes have been due to diet restrictions or appetite changes as a side effect of the chemo. But I am always open to ideas and suggestions. All ideas are worthy of further investigation, in my mind.

Each time I learn something I think I might try, I check in with my oncologist. One thing I learned early on is that some things can interfere with chemotherapy treatment, or they are unknown as to their affect with chemo. Why would I want to counteract this life-changing process I am going through and delay it any longer. HELLO!!!!! So I ALWAYS ask Dr. Anderson, my oncologist. He's told me I can paint my head with henna, but to give the baldness some time as my head will be tender for a bit. He suggests I save the reservatrol until after chemo because the effect of concentrated supplements/vitamins on chemo is unknown and in some cases known to lessen the effect of chemo. He often politely says to wait until after chemo treatment is finished, then give it a go. He actually suggested yoga for relaxation recently when we discussed my insomnia, which pleasantly surprised me. He brought up the medical marijuana as an option if drugs prescribed for nausea don't do the trick. He suggests "eating the food" rather than taking a high dose supplement of something we can get from food. Everything he says is believable, sensible, and speaks of moderation. What a guy.  :-)

Something that pops up over and over are cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts) and dried beans. I've already tried the asparagus juice, but much prefer eating asparagus and do it quite frequently this time of year. And you know all about beans now from a previous post.

So the latest bit of healthy eating tips comes from my dear friend Sue, and it is worthy of sharing. SUPER FOOD BROCCOLI to the rescue.

I love steamed broccoli and use it and the kale in my daily juice. As a kid I would smother it in mayonnaise, and then I would mash it into a pulp with my fork. Yum, yum. I pretty much gave up mayo many, many moons ago. Now I prefer a light splash of vinaigrette over my broccoli, if anything at all. So check out this article below about all the wonderful reasons we need to add more broccoli into our diets. Anything that induces cancer cells to commit cellular suicide, in my mind, is a no-brainer.  And besides, that fun word angiogenesis comes up again AND broccoli is delicious. Enjoy!


Hugs, Debbie... aka the cancer warrior; AND survivor 



LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!




LE Magazine June 2007

SUPER FOOD....
Broccoli

Providing Cancer Protection, Liver Support, and Essential Nutrients
By Dale Kiefer

One important way to protect yourself from the lethal scourge of cancer that is destroying the lives of millions of Americans is to regularly consume cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts. This particular group of vegetables is an excellent source of unique cancer-fighting chemicals known as glucosinolates. Once inside the body, glucosinolates are transformed into powerful metabolites such as indole-3-carbinol (I3C) and isothiocyanates (including sulforaphane). These phyto-chemical compounds have been shown to protect against a broad range of potentially lethal threats, including colon, breast, prostate, thyroid, cervical, and other cancers.

Attacking Cancer
The remarkable compounds derived from broccoli work through numerous mechanisms to inhibit cancer cells. Some produce beneficial changes in gene expression, thus altering levels of key proteins and enzymes, while others inhibit tumor cell adhesion, spread, and invasion. Most recently, scientists have shown that a particular cruciferous vegetable compound known as phenethyl isothiocyanate (PEITC) directly inhibits a tumor’s ability to supply itself with blood.  This interruption of angiogenesis is considered an important cancer-fighting mechanism. 

Another broccoli compound known as sulforaphane induces cancer cells to commit cellular suicide, while other compounds—particularly I3C, or its condensation product, 3,3’-diindolyl-methane (DIM)—interrupt the ability of cancer cells to reproduce.  “I3C and DIM affected the expression of a large number of genes that are related to the control of carcinogenesis, cell survival, and physiologic behaviors,” noted one research team.  Recent studies suggest that at high concentrations, these compounds may interact with one another to thwart cancer in a synergistic manner. In order to achieve a high enough concentration of these effective cancer-fighting compounds, it may be necessary to also use supplements. 
Scientists in California demonstrated that I3C interferes with breast cancer cell proliferation by altering the size of a protein associated with cellular reproduction. As a result, cellular division grinds to a halt, as if a monkey wrench had been thrown into the gears of the cell’s machinery. Runaway cell division is a hallmark of cancer; I3C appears to restore balance by commandeering the body’s own protein-producing capability and using it to halt rampant cell division.

Supporting Detoxification
Broccoli compounds also modulate the activity of enzymes in the liver, which enhances natural detoxification pathways. The protective effect of these phytochemicals may arise from their ability to inhibit the carcinogen-activating phase I liver enzymes, while inducing the carcinogen-detoxifying phase II enzymes. The critically important phase II enzymes convert dangerous compounds, such as toxins, hormones, and xenoestrogens (estrogen-like compounds from the environment), into less toxic compounds that can safely be eliminated by the body.

Rich in Nutrients
In addition to its unique cancer-fighting phytochemicals, broccoli is an excellent source of vitamins C, K, and A, as well as folate and dietary fiber. It is considered a very good source of minerals, such as manganese, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus, and vitamins such as riboflavin (vitamin B2) and pyridoxine (vitamin B6).

Conclusion
Broccoli makes a healthful addition to the daily diet. In addition to providing valuable vitamins, minerals, and fiber, broccoli offers an abundance of powerful phytochemicals that may help protect the body against deadly cancers.

Nutritional Content of Broccoli
One cup (91 grams) of raw broccoli contains the following nutrients: 
  • Calories: 31
  • Total fat: 0 grams
  • Total carbohydrates: 6 grams
  • Dietary fiber: 2 grams
  • Sugars: 2 grams
  • Protein: 3 grams

Vitamins and minerals:
    Vitamin A: 567 IU
    Vitamin C: 81.2 mg
    Vitamin E: 0.7 mg
    Vitamin K: 92.5 mg
    Lutein and zeaxanthin: 1,277 mcg
    Folate: 57.3 mcg
    Thiamine: 0.1 mg
    Riboflavin: 0.1 mg
    Niacin: 0.6 mg
    Pyridoxine: 0.2 mg
    Calcium: 42.8 mg
    Magnesium: 19.1 mg
    Iron: 0.7 mg
    Phosphorus: 60.1 mg
    Sodium: 30.0 mg
    Potassium: 206 mg
    Zinc: 0.4 mg
    Manganese: 0.2 mg
    Selenium: 2.3 mcg
      You can enjoy broccoli raw or cooked. Avoid overcooking broccoli, since this may deplete the vegetable of its water-soluble nutrients. Lightly steaming broccoli has been found to cause less nutrient loss than other cooking methods.

      REFERENCES: Available Here!



      1 comment:

      1. Chances are the calcium supplement you are taking now is a rock source of calcium. The label will say "calcium carbonate", which is nothing more than limestone. AlgaeCal Plus contains an organic, plant-sourced calcium form derived from a unique South American marine algae called Algas Calcareas™.

        ReplyDelete

      Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
      Debbie