LIVESTRONG:

And in June 2013 we are back in the revolving door of doctors, this time for my heart. So the focus has shifted, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


LIVESTRONG: I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. WE WILL WIN!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Steriods

Did I say that my chemotherapy infusions include some steriods. The NP informed me that this could have a huge bearing on my insomnia, so at least now I have another reason to understand why waking anywhere from 4 to 6 am on a regular basis is my pattern, even when taking a sleep aid around 11pm. It sure helps to have a reason.

Here is a brief excerpt on steroids and chemo:

What are steroids? Steroids (sometimes called corticosteroids) are substances that are naturally produced in the body. They are made by the adrenal glands (small glands above the kidneys).

They help control many different functions in our bodies such as the way in which we use fats, proteins and carbohydrates. They regulate our immune system and the balance of salt and water in our bodies. They also help to reduce inflammation.
Steroids can be manufactured synthetically as drugs. There are different types of steroids and they all have different effects on the body. Common types of steroids that are used in cancer treatment are hydrocortisone, dexamethasone, methylprednisolone and prednisolone.
Steroids can be used as part of your treatment, to help destroy cancer cells and make chemotherapy more effective.
|
They can also be used to help reduce an allergic reaction to certain chemotherapy drugs, in low doses as anti-sickness drugs, or to improve appetite. In these situations steroids are usually given only for short periods of time, and the side effects described here will not usually occur.
|
Behavioural changes You may notice mood swings, difficulty in sleeping and perhaps anxiety or irritability. These effects happen mainly with high-dose or long-term treatment and will stop when the steroid therapy ends.
 
Hugs, Debbie... aka the cancer warrior; AND survivor 


LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

1 comment:

  1. It is always good to know the reason WHY! At least you know that this side effect will only be temporary...as irritating as it can be.

    Hang in there, Debbie! Sleep when you can and get plenty of rest.

    Hugs and prayers, ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie