LIVESTRONG:

What started as IDC (Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) in 2011, then turned into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) in 2013, probably partially caused by chemotherapy along with a genetic pre-disposition. Here we are now in March 2016 and I am newly diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in the left breast and liver (LMBC - liver metastasized breast cancer).


So the focus has shifted yet again, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide helpful information and strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. I WILL SURVIVE!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well. And if you are now cancer free of breast cancer, do everything you can to insist that your doctors follow up with an occasional PET Scan and labs for tumor markers.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

*****************************************************************************************

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ultrasound & Reconstructive Surgery Consult Appointments

Just another busy day here for this cancer warrior and survivor. What can I say?

I started out with a 7:45 am Ultrasound appointment at Redwood Regional Medical Center in Santa Rosa. My surgeon is looking to see if the Ultrasound will provide him with the view he needs to then to an ultrasound guided biopsy. In doing so, he will take samples from the furthest ends of what is showing to be residual tumor and determine if this is actual active cancer cells, or dead tissue from the previous biopsy or from dead cancer cells. The Radiologist, Dr. Popovich, also came in during the ultrasound so I explained the urgency of the results getting to the surgeon since he is going out of town tomorrow for several days. The tumor board is to be held this afternoon and both doctors should be there and hopefully will discuss the situation. My hope is that my surgeon will be able to get me on the calendar for the biopsy to occur while he is away and results in his hands when he returns. Then we can get on the surgery calendar based on all this information.

I returned home for a bit and then Mark and I drove over to Petaluma to meet with a Dr. Sommerhaug, who is a plastic surgeon specializing on breast conservation and reconstruction. He went over the options that are a available to me, both with lumpectomy (partial mastectomy) and mastectomy. He actually drew diagrams on my breasts to show two different types of surgeries and projected process. Of course, I can elect not to have any plastic surgery and settle for the straight lumpectomy or mastectomy as it is with no reconstruction. At the moment, I am confused and perplexed about the choices and have not come to any conclusion. But I am studying up on Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book, which goes into everything in great detail. Once I get more information from my surgeon, hopefully later today, then I can make a better informed decision.

Our day ended with a brief visit to brother Matt's to drop off some eggs and get/give hugs, and then home to finish preparing blue devils, a deviled egg with blue cheese and bacon, and finally off to the Sonoma Farmer's Market with our blue devils to meet up with friends and family at our Tuesday night meet-up. It was a bit bit cool and I was not well prepared, so Sarah brought down an extra hat, scarf, and blanket for me. It was wonderful to see Steve and Debbie and share his wonderful news of being cancer free, and good to give everyone my updates and plan to go to Restorative Yoga with Cathie in the morning.

All in all, a productive day. But still things to figure out. Time.... I just need to give it time.


Hugs,

Debbie... aka the cancer warrior ... AND SURVIVOR!!!

Sonoma Relay for Life Team (8/6/11) ~  Debbie's Blasting Crew.

LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie