LIVESTRONG:

What started as IDC (Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) in 2011, then turned into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) in 2013, probably partially caused by chemotherapy along with a genetic pre-disposition. Here we are now in March 2016 and I am newly diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in the left breast and liver (LMBC - liver metastasized breast cancer).


So the focus has shifted yet again, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide helpful information and strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. I WILL SURVIVE!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well. And if you are now cancer free of breast cancer, do everything you can to insist that your doctors follow up with an occasional PET Scan and labs for tumor markers.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

*****************************************************************************************

Monday, July 25, 2011

Four Things You Can Always Say to Someone Who Is Sick

You Look Great, And Other Lies

Having been diagnosed with Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma in January, better known as one of the many forms of breast cancer, and dealing with the comments that come from loved ones when they are faced with a sick friend or relative, I really enjoyed listening to this great article on the radio a few weeks back when returning from one of my appointments. It so hit home to me, as apparently it does to so many who have been in my shoes, or sick for some other reason. I thought, "So it isn't just me who is a bit put off when someone says, "You look great", while you are undergoing chemotherapy." I think they meant to say, you look great considering what you are going through, in spite of having no hair anywhere on your body, and even though your face is grey and lacking color and you have very dark circles around your eye. I know they mean well, but it just is not something you enjoy hearing at that moment in time.

But now, now that the color has returned to my face, I have a hint of eyebrows and a flurry of tiny eyelashes, I have energy and feel almost normal even though there is just a tiny bit of fuzz covering my head.... Now I enjoy hearing, "You look great".

Some gestures are just more helpful than others, and a few are downright annoying. So at the risk of offending some well-meaning people, here is the New York Times article with... 


Hugs,

Debbie... aka the cancer warrior ... AND SURVIVOR!!!
Sonoma Relay for Life Team (8/6/11) ~  Debbie's Blasting Crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie