LIVESTRONG:

And in June 2013 we are back in the revolving door of doctors, this time for my heart. So the focus has shifted, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


LIVESTRONG: I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. WE WILL WIN!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Huge Success at Relay for Life

We survived Relay for Life, Sonoma, walking for 24 hours straight. Because, as you know, cancer does not sleep! Our team, Debbie's Blasting Crew, made it our focus to blasting breast cancer to smithereens; and we lovingly decorated our camp in an array of lovely assorted colors of pink bras. What fun it was. And for such a good cause.

Thanks to you, we have raised $5,500 at this moment in time. And that does not count all the off-line donations we turned in. Way to go Debbie's Blasting Crew; AND to all of you who so generously donated to the cause to Fight Back against cancer!!!

What a fun and dedicated group we had! I can't thank them all enough their love, support, donation efforts, tireless walking, fun, laughter, and all that yummy food too; homemade cookies and cupcakes!!! It was a blast. And they drove from afar to be a part of this magical day too.

Most of the crew ~ Susan, Carolyn, Susie, Sue, Donna, Debbie, Tabitha, Tom, Christine, Mark

We had a very special time during the afternoon of the event when one of my chemotherapy nurses, Jill, came out to join us. Jill makes the most delicious chocolate and caramel covered pretzels and sells them at nearly all the Sonoma County Relays. She sold and donated to our team's effort $55 worth of pretzels. Thank you Jill!
Susan, Jill, Christine, Debbie, Nancy, & Carolyn

And such a worthy cause ~ Both the opening ceremony, with survivor lap and doves of flight, and the closing ceremony and final lap were so heartwarming and tear filled. Then of course our very entertaining camp, and just hanging out with all of you and collecting our beads each time we made a lap. Not to mention Sue Petersen's efforts to travel all the way from Loomis and then leave and travel all the way to and from Pleasanton for the wedding she was committed to during the day, and then for her to walk most of the night. And Tom Xavier and Tabitha came all the way from Lake County. The entire team really gave their all making sure we had someone on the track at all times and often times the entire team was walking. They did such a fantastic job and stayed till the very last moment to make sure we cleaned the place up spotless.

So many friends and family came out to be with us too, and take some laps around the track, including cancer survivor friends Denise and Steve who walked the survivor lap with me. It was so heart warming, and a tearful moment. I also met a young woman, named Andrea also with Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma. We have all the same doctors and surgeons. We recognized each other as she is just about a month ahead of me and our hair is of similar lengths. It was so nice to visit with her and share experiences and stories. I'm hoping to look her up real soon.

So today it is Monday and I've decided to have one more day with the Relay for Life theme... one of my bras I dyed pink, the regular Relay shirt (not my survivor purple one I wore for the event) that Mark dyed for me when he dyed his, and my pink Life is Good Hat. It's back to the 5 days of radiation routine and this is my locker from the "Ladies Changing Room" at Redwood Regional Medical Center:



This afternoon I think a nap will be in order. Until next year...
Love and Hugs!!

Debbie... aka the cancer warrior; AND Survivor 

LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

1 comment:

  1. Without you none of this would have been possible. Thank you my friend for showing us the way!
    XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
    X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie