LIVESTRONG:

What started as IDC (Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) in 2011, then turned into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) in 2013, probably partially caused by chemotherapy along with a genetic pre-disposition. Here we are now in March 2016 and I am newly diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in the left breast and liver (LMBC - liver metastasized breast cancer).


So the focus has shifted yet again, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide helpful information and strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. I WILL SURVIVE!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well. And if you are now cancer free of breast cancer, do everything you can to insist that your doctors follow up with an occasional PET Scan and labs for tumor markers.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

*****************************************************************************************

Sunday, August 21, 2011

To Juice or Not to Juice ~ Greens to Go

I may have a Breville Juice Fountain juicer for sale. It appears I'm struggling with incorporating juicing into my life. You see, I purchased the juicer after being turned on to Kris Carr and Crazy Sexy Cancer and Diet shortly after having been diagnosed with breast cancer. Kris is so positive and infectious, and her initial DVD just spoke to me as it has for so many of us who are unfortunate enough to know cancer intimately, especially women. She puts it all in a new perspective that could help anyone get past the sadness, fright, and depression that the word cancer can instill in us when faced with this ugly word and disease.

Okay, I got distracted and needed to research where the word cancer comes from. I mean, I "am a" cancer with my birthday on July 1st, but never thought I would "have" cancer.
Cancer has been described as follows in the Oxford English Dictionary :

1. “A disease caused by an uncontrolled division of abnormal cells in part of the body.
2. “A malignant growth or tumour resulting from such a division of cells.
3. “Something evil or destructive that is hard to contain or eradicate.

“ORIGIN Latin, ‘crab or creeping ulcer’, said to have been applied to tumours because the swollen veins around them resembled the limbs of a crab.”
So there you have it. Now back to juicing...

So I got the said juicer indicated above and have juiced several times using kale, cucumber, celery, other greens, some fruit. It is usually a small glass in the morning on occasion. Mark and I have grown to enjoy it and Donna said it gave her lots of energy. But it isn't as easy and convenient as I would like it to be and I've fallen further and further away from doing it. 

Wheat grass juice is another thing I wanted to incorporate into our diet. I've purchased the small 4" square tub of the growing grass for juicing and have incorporated it into a kale juice with success. So last week I purchased one of those larger 12" containers of the growing grass and attempted juicing it. by itself. The recommendation is to take no more than a 3" section, and juice up a shot of the drink. When I take that amount and juice it in my juicer, I get about a teaspoon of juice. What am I doing wrong? Is it the juicer, or is it how I am doing it? So, guess who got the wheat grass greens to enjoy? THE CHICKENS! And they gobbled down all those greens (which were slowly turning yellow in the house) in about an hour. They loved them. Perhaps Mark and I will get the benefit of the greens  via the lovely eggs the chickens provide.

So unless someone has a great tip for me, or can steer me straight as to what I am doing wrong, the juicer may be available for purchase at a discount. It is practically brand new. 

But in the meantime, I was shopping at Costco last week and came across something called Greens to Go by healthy To Go. 30 packets come in one box, and each packet contains 6 servings of veggies and fruits and one packet makes two servings. All the ingredients look very good for you. And all you do is pour one packet into a 16.9 oz bottle of water, of which you have already removed a few sips of water, shake a bit and enjoy. A lady at Costco commented how much she loves it when she saw it in my cart. She apparently chills it down and even makes a slush out of it. She says it is good warm too if you are feeling sick or feel a cold is coming on. So I have mixed up a bottle and it is chilling in the fridge right now. I did sneak a little sip once I mixed it and I have to admit it was tasty. And, it takes far less room on the counter and is pretty easy to manage -- no worry of kale turning yellow before you use it.

While on the topic of diet, some of the other things I have changed in my diet have been to stop drinking coffee. I do have a cup on occasion, but without the creamy soy milk in it that was my standard before, it just isn't that appealing. Rice milk isn't making it. I appear to be a bit lactose intolerant so skip the cow's milk. And the soy just seems too risky for me now with the history of breast cancer. Besides, I was drinking quite a bit of soy and coffee pre-cancer and do not want to fall back into that routine. I'm also cutting out wine several nights a week. I've always loved salmon and broccoli and since reading some of Dr. Andrew Weil's material years ago, love to put it together and have it a couple times a month, if not more frequently. 

And I have more to add to the topic of diet in my next post. Watch for it later today.


Debbie... aka the cancer warrior; AND Survivor 

LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie