LIVESTRONG:

And in June 2013 we are back in the revolving door of doctors, this time for my heart. So the focus has shifted, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


LIVESTRONG: I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. WE WILL WIN!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

31 Days: Telling the Whole Story

Did you know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month? 
31 Days of Breast Cancer Awareness... Today is Day 13
And Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

I find some of my blog content out there in the world, like on Facebook, especially this month when I am posting about awareness on each of these 31 days of October. But it can be challenging to write a well written post each and every day. Today, I must thank The Army of Women for making me aware that today is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day.

As I read Dr. Susan Love's well written, and thought provoking post on Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness, there was no way I could summarize it and still get her message across. Please read below the entire article, and think about these 150,000 women living with breast cancer mets in this current world of pink haze, living in pain and fear in 3 month bouts from scan to scan, hoping to hold out long enough for a cure... or that family vacation... or milestone in their lives. Why not reach out to just one, if you can. And then go further to learn more about Metastatic Breast Cancer yourself.

Dr. Susan Love runs the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation, which works to eradicate breast cancer and improve the quality of women's health through innovative research, education, and advocacy.
 
And her phone book size Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book has been my bible from the moment I was diagnosed. It was suggest by a friend with BC before me and has helped me to navigate each step of my treatment when I was ready to read on to the next section as it approached for me. It is an excellent resource explaining in depth for all to understand each type of procedure or surgery, each stage and type of breast cancer. A must read for anyone with BC in their lives, either their own or a loved one.


Metastatic Breast Cancer ~ Telling The Whole Story
By now you have noticed that it is October, and that a pink haze has settled on the land. The message of “early detection saves lives” has been broadcast on every form of media available. But there is a part of the breast cancer story that is less “feel good” and less frequently mentioned– woman living with metastatic breast cancer.

Have we gotten better at detecting breast cancer? Yes. Have we gotten better at treating this disease? Yes. But we haven’t gotten good enough. Despite doing everything that we now can, about 25 percent of the women who are diagnosed with and treated for early-stage breast cancer will later learn that they have metastatic disease. An additional 4 to 6 percent of all breast cancer cases will be in women whose initial diagnosis is stage IV, metastatic disease.

Right now, about 150,000 people in this country are living with metastatic breast cancer. At this stage, the cancer can be treated–and women can live for many years with stage IV disease– but it is not considered curable. These women connect on websites like BCMets.org, AdvancedBC.org and BrainMetsBC.org to find support, get the latest research information, and to share their hopes and fears as they try to embrace what many refer to as “the new normal”–living with metastatic disease.

These women, as Roni Caryn Rabin wrote in the New York Times, “…are not [leading] pink-ribbon lives: They live from scan to scan, in three-month gulps, grappling with pain, fatigue, depression, crippling medical costs and debilitating side effects of treatment, hoping the current therapy will keep the disease at bay until the next breakthrough drug comes along, or at least until the family trip to Disney World.” Some will live for years; others won’t be so lucky. Elizabeth Edwards comes to mind.

October 13 is Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day, and I can’t tell you how important it is that there is at least one day in October that is dedicated to acknowledging that not everyone is cured and not every cancer is found early. We need to stop congratulating ourselves on our progress and start focusing on figuring out why these women have not benefited from all the money we have raised. Reach out today to someone you know that represents the other side of breast cancer, the one that is not so pink. We will not have accomplished this goal as long as one woman dies of this disease!

You can learn more about metastatic breast cancer as well as find a list of resources and programs for women with advanced disease here at www.dslrf.org.

Follow Susan M. Love on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DrSusanLove

Living with Metastatic Breast Cancer? We need you! Learn about this new study here:
http://blog.armyofwomen.org/2011/10/living-with-metastatic-we-need-your-help/
Hugs,

Debbie... aka the cancer warrior ... AND SURVIVOR!!!

LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

1 comment:

  1. Mets is what i think scares us all the most.
    It's bad enough to be dealing with this...without THAT.
    I read lots of blogs about dear women with mets.
    It just breaks my heart.
    I think we all fear that we will be there someday.
    Early detection just is NOT enough,...they have to do more to CURE this thing.
    Sadly there not doing more to do that.
    Its all about early detection :(
    Sorry I haven't been around , but my first chemo knocked me for a loop. My Dr put me back on steroids at day 11 after...and I feel like a new person now..and am trying to catch up on my bloggie friends
    Debbi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie