LIVESTRONG:

What started as IDC (Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) in 2011, then turned into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) in 2013, probably partially caused by chemotherapy along with a genetic pre-disposition. Here we are now in March 2016 and I am newly diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in the left breast and liver (LMBC - liver metastasized breast cancer).


So the focus has shifted yet again, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide helpful information and strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. I WILL SURVIVE!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well. And if you are now cancer free of breast cancer, do everything you can to insist that your doctors follow up with an occasional PET Scan and labs for tumor markers.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

*****************************************************************************************

Saturday, October 8, 2011

31 Days: Then What ~ After Cancer Treatment

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. And I'm posting on each of the 31 days as my way of doing something to bring awareness.

Today is Day 8
This weekend I am focusing on the Think Pink special section on breast cancer awareness in last Sunday's edition of the Press Democrat. As you probably know I' was not a huge fan of pink until recently. But I'm following the crowd for the moment -- So, Think Pink it is. 

In this article I was surprised to learn about a wonderful resource I plan to look into:
After cancer treatment, then what? 
‘Survivorship’ program focuses on maintaining patients’ optimum health.
One of the biggest challenges of surviving breast cancer is not the physical recovery, but recovery from the experience of having cancer. (Amen to that statement) It can last years after everything has healed in the body. An emerging area in the health-care field is “cancer survivorship,” a treatment approach focusing on a patient’s overall healing and not solely on getting rid of the cancer. Dr. Amy Shaw explains, “A survivorship program partners with a patient’s primarycare doctor and is the bridge between the cancer world and the rest of your life.” Shaw, formerly medical director of Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation’s Women’s Health Center, joined Redwood Regional Medical Group in Santa Rosa in June and has created its new Cancer Survivorship Program. The goals of the Cancer Survivorship Program are two: staying well during treatment and strategizing what to do to achieve optimum health afterward. Shaw is helping coordinate care for people who have finished treatment and is doing ongoing evaluation for treatment side effects, including late-onset problems such as heart disease or skin disorders that may surface several years after surgery, radiation or chemotherapy.
I'll be calling Redwood Regional Medical Center on Monday to look into this program for sure.
Have a great weekend!

Hugs,

Debbie... aka the cancer warrior ... AND SURVIVOR!!!

LIVESTRONG
I AM STRONG. I AM LOVED. I AM HEALTHY. WE WILL WIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie