LIVESTRONG:

And in June 2013 we are back in the revolving door of doctors, this time for my heart. So the focus has shifted, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


LIVESTRONG: I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. WE WILL WIN!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

One Year Down.... MANY MORE TO GO!

I am coming up on my first annual checkup after all my treatment. Those dates never leave you, diagnosed 1/10/11, Chemo ended 5/17/11, partial mastectomy 6/24/11, last rads 9/19/11. They stick in your head forever. How we count the days, and try not to count the days.

I see my Oncologist on October 16th, and will have a bone density scan in the next few weeks before then. I've had my blood work completed already and daughter NP tells me it all looks good. Thyroid is a little low, but my PCP suspected that so I had it run at the same time.

Since my Deductible is so darn high, I get these tests done under "private pay", which means they quote me about half the price of what it is when insurance pays, and I pay cash right then and there when I have the appointment. My plan is to not meet the $7,500 deductible this year, and I am nowhere near that. So to do it this way works best for now. I'll need to re-evaluate once January 1, 2013 rolls around. This lab work ran me $99.00. If I ran it through insurance, it would be about twice that and i would still be paying out of pocket. Who knows what the bone density scan will cost, but with all the hip pain I have since starting the 5-year pill Exemestrane, I think it is important to follow up with. Especially since the chemo I had was known to be hard on bones.

BUT HECK, I've almost got one year behind me of those five years needed for the Exemestrane. YIPPEE!!

So somewhere in all this, Jennifer (mentioned in my previous post) and I (and so many others like us) go on with our lives, try to get back to something normal, and pretend like nothing happened. Until that call comes with the reminder for the next followup appointment, or blood work, or mammogram, or bone density scan. I don't think others who have escaped cancer realize that just because we are past our treatment, we may not be back to the bubbly old self, taking days for granted self. There is still the underlying, "what if?" But I think it all makes us stronger, helps us to live life fuller, to do what we really enjoy, what is meaninful. I was complaining to a friend the other night how I felt guilty at times. She asked why? I said, "Well, some days I get up, dawdle around the house, and then do whatever I want." We both laughed. She thought it sounded darn good to her, especially since she works full time away from her home.

So....
ONE YEAR DOWN

50 MORE TO GO (give or take a few)



LIFE IS GOOD

Debbie... aka the cancer warrior ... AND SURVIVOR!!!

LIVESTRONG
• I AM STRONG • I AM HEALTHY • I AM LOVED •

2 comments:

  1. Yay for you! I know how important it is to mark these mini or not so mini milestones in our lives. I had my first annual mammogram since diagnosis but that's all the testing I had - no scans, no blood tests - and I'm left wondering if something could be missed. Here in New Zealand it seems less testing is the norm. I, like you, have the 'what if' factor in my life but to the extent that some days I'm very down about it all. I have a lot of pain in my back and am trying Pilates as my posture is not good since a TRAM flap reconstruction, but will get a bone scan if things don't improve. In the meantime it's a matter of doing what I can when I can. Love your latest hair photo -it looks so soft. I just had my first haircut to try and get some shape to it and far too much of it ended on the floor! It seems like it takes forever to grow. Cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breast cancer is one of dangerous disease among the women.Your information is really helpful for the women.Thank you for giving such a valuable information.
    Regards:cancer treatment india


    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie