LIVESTRONG:

What started as IDC (Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) in 2011, then turned into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) in 2013, probably partially caused by chemotherapy along with a genetic pre-disposition. Here we are now in March 2016 and I am newly diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in the left breast and liver (LMBC - liver metastasized breast cancer).


So the focus has shifted yet again, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide helpful information and strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. I WILL SURVIVE!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well. And if you are now cancer free of breast cancer, do everything you can to insist that your doctors follow up with an occasional PET Scan and labs for tumor markers.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

*****************************************************************************************

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Parenthood

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, October 2012, I hope to post as frequently as possible this month. Heaven knows I am learning of new breast cancer diagnosis, or serious recurrences of breast cancer, often times metastasis, nearly weekly. Lets all do whatever we can to see that all women are aware of the breast cancer risks, and that research soon puts a stop to this life-changing, and often deadly, disease.

I've been enjoying watching the show Parenthood since it's inception a year or two ago. Something about the crazy large family, and all their interactions, really entertains me. Maybe it resembles my own family somewhat.

And this year it has an eery similarity; one that makes Mark and I bit uncomfortable at times. You see, Kristina has been diagnosed with breast cancer. Kristina is considerably younger than me, as so many women are these days who get breast cancer, but I still compare myself to her and how she is reacting to everything. Initially I was so surprised that she waited so long to tell her family. Not just her children, but her in-laws, that she appears to be so close to. As a matter of fact, as I type this, I realize that she has no family of her own. At least none that the show is talking about. I mean, where is her own mother or siblings while she is going through this ordeal. But that is another topic, for another day.

But Kristina finally did tell her family, and her daughter who had just gone away to college, and everyone has rallied around her and are offering support in any way they can. You see, Kristina just had her surgery in last night's episode. But again, she returned home to tell her college-aged daughter that the surgery went well, the cancer is all gone, and she just has a few follow up appointments with her surgeon. When really, Kristina's breast surgery was very successful, BUT, the cancer was found in one lymph node, and the breast cancer was found to be Her2 Receptive, which is more aggressive and requires different treatment, such as chemotherapy. So I imagine Haddie will return to Cornell for school, as her parents want, and then will learn this news, and return home to help out the family. 

I know, you are saying, "It is just TV, Debbie". I guess I am just too transparent when it comes to these things. Why hide it, why hold back. Secrets really aren't healthy, and the family support system will rally around and help to fill in the gaps, especially if they know what is really going on. But then, my daughters are older, and were such a sense of huge help and support to me. I guess we are all different, and all react differently. That is what makes each one of us unique and special.

So hopefully Kristina will have a good outcome. Because the show is becoming hard for us both to watch. Although the preview on the episode for next week, where Kristina and Adam try a green smoothie, looks pretty hillarious. And... it brings back some pretty funny memories too.

So if you haven't tuned in to Parenthood on Tuesday nights yet, give it a try. It is pretty entertaining.

Meanwhile, I'm REALLY looking forward to a weekend getaway with my high school girlfriends this weekend. CAN'T WAIT!!!


LIFE IS GOOD

And if you've made it this far, please leave a comment below. That would be just fabulous to know you are following along.

Debbie... aka the cancer warrior ... AND SURVIVOR!!!

LIVESTRONG
• I AM STRONG • I AM HEALTHY • I AM LOVED •





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie