LIVESTRONG:

What started as IDC (Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma) in 2011, then turned into CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) in 2013, probably partially caused by chemotherapy along with a genetic pre-disposition. Here we are now in March 2016 and I am newly diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer in the left breast and liver (LMBC - liver metastasized breast cancer).


So the focus has shifted yet again, BUT... I continue to THANK YOU for your prayers, love & support. I receive them with open & loving arms. My wish is that I will gain strength from you, will provide helpful information and strength to others & will help to strip away the fears we each experience.


I am strong. I am loved. I am healthy. I WILL SURVIVE!

Have you or your loved one had their annual mammogram? PLEASE, don't put it off. Speaking from experience, I highly recommend monthly self exam as well. And if you are now cancer free of breast cancer, do everything you can to insist that your doctors follow up with an occasional PET Scan and labs for tumor markers.

WARNING:
Contents may be uplifting, sad, funny, scary, downright depressing ~ THAT IS CANCER .... at it's best, at its worst.

PLEASE ~ Feel free to share this blog with anyone who is interested to learn about my journey. While I welcome their support, I hope that by sharing this experience freely to the universe I may help to support others by breaking down some of the barriers and fear associated with breast cancer and the treatment.

*****************************************************************************************

Thursday, August 11, 2016

The New Me

The new me. It was long overdue for sure. I kept hanging on since I thought a few hairs hanging out of my hats looked better. But the photos tell a different story. Seems like the only hair left was at the bangs and back. Oh well; on to new things -- hats and scarves when I'm too timid to rock the bald.

Just a few eyebrows and lashes left too. A little pencil helps with the brows.

The new me.
Not very pretty; I know. Not sure why I waited so long. Seems as though the only hair left was at the bangs and back.

Much better; don't you think?

Nail & Hair Loss Goes Along With Carboplatin
I'm starting to see some evidence of nail loss too. Which is no surprise to me. The chemotherapy that causes hair loss does this too. You see, all the fast growing cells are affected, hair (all of it, everywhere - YEP), skin, nails. 

I'm also experiencing the softest facial skin ever, like a new born baby almost. Each time I wash my face I can feel the granularly feeling of the skin sloughing off and this ultra soft layer left behind. I just wish the wrinkles would wash away too. Oh well, more wishful thinking for an old broad.  :-)

This is today; 8/10/16
This is today; 8/10/16
In the above picture, you can just begin to see the reddening of the nail bed, and there is a bit of chalkiness like it is starting to break away from the old existing nail at the moon of my index finger, to the new nail forming underneath.

But in this example of nail loss back in June 2011, with my first round of chemo, you can really see what happens. Click on the link here and then click on the photo so it enlarges.

Other than the great news of yesterday, this is the latest on me at the moment. Other than chemo going well yesterday and now I'm feeling the effects of the steroids. I'm taking my regular anti-nausea med today and tomorrow, as I always do for the two days after chemo. Then back at it next Wednesday provided side effects aren't too debilitating. The neuropathy and blood counts are something my Oncologist is watching closely.



THANK YOU for continuing to keep me in your thoughts & prayers.


Die cancer, DIE. You are messing with the wrong woman!!

Debbie... aka the cancer FIGHTER, AND Cardiomyopathy warrior!!!
B E L I E V E

• I AM STRONG • I AM HEALTHY • I AM LOVED •
THANKS for visiting!        I look forward to your comment.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your journey! Know that you are loved and supported from near and far!!! Many hugs,
    Marni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marni. Hugs right back; and to Nathaniel too. Love following along on FB to see him growing up. Such a cutie!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. Your comment will be reviewed and approved the next time I visit.
Debbie