You just never quite know what to expect when you hear those words "liver lesions consistent with metastases", especially when you went in thinking you had a kidney stone or stones. How will you react to the report that you have Liver Metastasized Breast Cancer? I don't think anyone really knows what they will do, how they will feel, or how their spouse, children, siblings, and loved ones will react.
I saw the Nurse Practitioner, Teresa Mortensen on Thursday. Dr. Anderson had a meeting. I've met with her two other times, and have always been pleased with our discussions, so no problem for me. Since I don't see her regularly, she went over recent history very thoroughly. I explained how the Capecitabine/Xeloda was approved and I was waiting on delivery.
- She suggests I be sure to tell my pharmacy I am taking it, since it is coming from a "specialty" pharmacy as it is not carried "by just any regular local pharmacy", in case of any conflicts with other meds. She reminded me of the most serious side effect, which is severe diarrhea, apparently to the point of dehydration causing hospitalization. If any diarrhea occurs, I am to stop the medication immediately and call my Oncologist. It may be that I'll just need a break for a couple of days, and then can resume.
- I need to be sure and drink lots of fluids.
- There is a strong potential for hand & foot syndrome; so I need to slather hands and feet twice a day with lotions, such as, lubriderm or bag balm (a low alcohol, low perfume lotion). She also recommends I keep a close eye on the current heal peeling and tenderness I have been experiencing.
- Because of the hand and foot syndrome, I need to be careful of constricting clothing, jewelry, or doing any posture with knees or elbows resting on hard surface for prolonged period.
And on Friday, the Capecitabine/Xeloda was delivered as anticipated. It is kind of scary to consider taking this drug, with all the warnings about side effects and symptoms. But on Saturday morning I will begin taking it.
• I AM STRONG • I AM HEALTHY • I AM LOVED •